RRS Feeds

Here's where to post questions and suggestions regarding forum use. Requests for new forum topics should be posted here as well.

RRS Feeds

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:29 am

I don't know if this is possible, but can the RSS feeds be modified to show which forum the topic is coming from and maybe add the writer's signature? (I'm assuming setting preferences in the forum's software might do this.)

The reason I ask is that sometimes when I read the threads in my email app, the conversations don't make sense (like when a person sends two messages in a row to the same thread). :?
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Re: RRS Feeds

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Joe Koomen wrote:I don't know if this is possible, but can the RSS feeds be modified to show which forum the topic is coming from and maybe add the writer's signature? (I'm assuming setting preferences in the forum's software might do this.)

No... there is no switch to be thrown for this. It is most likely possible to include signatures by modifying the php code that publishes the feed... but all internal references to forums are by id. Code would have to be added to query the database to actually get the forum name to add to the feed. Certainly possible, but not trivial for a php hack like me (not to mention I don't have a server set up for development and testing).

For now I am afraid you'll have to live with the current behavior.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks Scott.
Joe Koomen
JoeKoomen2011

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:36 am

Hi,

One thing you can do to see the author in Mail is right click on the columns at the top of the list and check 'Author' in the menu. That will add a column with the authors' names.

thanks

Alec
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:44 am

Thanks Alec. It sorta works and sorta not. In the RSS feeds the user name shows up, but if I set up the feeds to appear in the main Inbox, it says "Latest Posts from SC User Forums board"....

Oh well.
Joe Koomen
JoeKoomen2011

Postby marksch » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:53 am

Hi,

The RSS feed generate_feed.php?content=topics&global=1 is not up-to-date.

Best,

Mark
We have time for new projects. Contact me at http://qery.us/du now and be first in line.

Biggest free icon collection ever: http://icons.qery.us
marksch

Postby marksch » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi. The RSS feed still doesn't load correctly most of the time. Does anyone know why?

Mark
marksch

Postby Scott » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:44 pm

When you say doesn't load correctly, can you be more specific. I am not seeing any issues.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby marksch » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:57 am

Dear supercardus,

As I wrote earlier, most of the time it doesn't update. I have the RSS sitting in the toolbar of my browser (Firefox) and it just doesn't do anything.

Maybe it does update shortly after visiting this forum, but I might be wrong. Is the rss feed somehow connected to site cookies or the user session?

Best,

Mark
We have time for new projects. Contact me at http://qery.us/du now and be first in line.

Biggest free icon collection ever: http://icons.qery.us
marksch

Postby Dave_Higgins » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:38 pm

marksch wrote:Maybe it does update shortly after visiting this forum, but I might be wrong. Is the rss feed somehow connected to site cookies or the user session?

I sort of think so. I was having all kinds of issues staying logged in, but when I turned off my RSS feed I started staying logged in all the time now.
My two favorite teams are Detroit and whoever's playing Chicago.
Dave_Higgins

Postby Scott » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:32 am

marksch wrote:As I wrote earlier, most of the time it doesn't update. I have the RSS sitting in the toolbar of my browser (Firefox) and it just doesn't do anything.

Maybe it does update shortly after visiting this forum, but I might be wrong. Is the rss feed somehow connected to site cookies or the user session?

When subscribing to a feed there should be a dedicated cookie created. While I am not using Firefox, I did set up a feed in Safari a few days ago (in the browser's bookmark bar) and was careful not to use this machine for visiting the forums. The number of new posts seems to be updating as expected. I will keep my eye on it for the next several days.

Are you set to auto login?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:14 am

Joe Koomen wrote:I don't know if this is possible, but can the RSS feeds be modified to show which forum the topic is coming from?

Done!
Scott
Site Admin

Return to Site News, Questions, and Feedback