New forum seems pretty quiet

Here's where to post questions and suggestions regarding forum use. Requests for new forum topics should be posted here as well.

New forum seems pretty quiet

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:38 am

Hi,

In terms of posts the new forum seems pretty quiet. Meanwhile, the Yahoo group refuses to die and people seem to be asking questions there and getting answers. I suppose there's no way of getting the conversations from Yahoo in emails and adding them to this forum automatically, so people who come here get the benefit of any solutions that have been posted on the Yahoo group? If I get a minute I'll try and post some useful stuff to this forum, but it would save time if answering someone's question on Yahoo got uploaded here too, and then it will be in the new easy-to-search forum database.

thanks

Alec
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Re: New forum seems pretty quiet

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:15 am

I see your point Alec.
I think most people clearly prefer simple so much that the cost of exploring for something better is usually too much, especially if what one has is acceptable. Use of this interface is more complex.
I'll continue to watch both because I don't want to miss anything and I hope we only increase our numbers one way or the other. That's what's good for Dan.
-Dan
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:20 am

By the way Alec, I was just noticing the horns on your avatar image. I had three of those when I woke up this AM but I just put a bunch of warm water up there and patted around a bit and they went away. HTH
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:43 am

:-)
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Postby bmartin » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:34 am

I don't see why we couldn't write a SC app to import the emails sent to yahoo to this forum. It could use a new user, say YahooPost. The hard part would be to figure out what section to post to. Maybe Scott could set up a new section for all of the yahoo email posts?
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:11 am

It is disappointing more have not subscribed to these forums, but making them a mirror for the Yahoo group is not something I am interested in.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby bmartin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 am

There isn't a way to add the ability for this forum to email posts and accept an email as a post is there? I think the major issue has been the convenance of email.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:28 am

There are some things that could be done that would perhaps generate a bit of noise over here (in a good way). When there is news to share about the next major SuperCard undertaking, if that information is shared exclusively here, I'm sure that would create a lot of interest... especially if it leaks back to the old list that something is up over here. ;)

But once the word gets out, what is to stop people from simply discussing it on the old list instead of here? Well nothing, except... The other thing is to point out who is on this forum vs. the old list. For example, I believe Mark Lucas is a member here and is not on the old list. I'm not sure what Scott's status is, but if he is only here that would pretty much make this forum the ONLY location where you can discuss SuperCard and actually have the people working on SuperCard aware of what you are saying. I think that is a pretty big deal.

For my part, I like it here. I left Yahoo groups a while ago and haven't looked back. I haven't been posting that much because I've been a bit busy with three major SuperCard-based application upgrades, but also because there hasn't really been anything *new* to talk about. SuperCard 4.6.3 is a nice enough update, but if you look through the Mac OS X HIG or some of the features of Mac OS X, it is a bit behind. I suppose I could start a long complaint thread today about that (maybe change my name to Randall? :roll: ), but rather than going negative and discussing limitations in an existing product, I'd much rather be positive discussing possibilities for a future product, but also be practical based on actual information. So that means waiting for whenever Scott or Mark is ready to share something with us.
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Postby bmartin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:38 pm

This is true, but there are still some that although they don't post much I still value their posts, like Keith M. Maybe there is a way, if it is not already doing that of pointing the yahoo groups to this site?
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby vinnie-bob » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:24 pm

As long as there are two forums for SC, there will be some here, and some there. If Yahoo group is shut down, then more will come here. I like this a lot better than the Yahoo group, but there are those who will never agree. I guess it all depends on whether Scott wants to babysit both groups, or just one.

The Yahoo site hasn't been exactly ablaze with posts... only about 380 since August. I haven't been coding much lately as my time has been quite short. When I get back into it, I may post more, but I don't see that happening at least until Jan. Maybe. I'll be posting here...

vinnie
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby 1nperson0z » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:34 pm

If Mail (or anything convenient - I'm open to suggestions) reliably showed when posts were made I'd be here more often. This thread for example I got Alec's original post, but no sign of the subsequent replies. The problem is most likely with Mail, but if I have to go looking for posts which may or may not be there it starts becoming a chore, plus it creates the impression that your posts might not be seen - again probably Mail's problem - but psychologically you want to ask your questions in a forum where you have confidence of being heard or read.
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz i7 8Gb 10.11.3
1nperson0z

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 am

inpersonoz wrote:If Mail (or anything convenient - I'm open to suggestions) reliably showed when posts were made I'd be here more often.

Well, FWIW, I have Safari open during the day and have a RSS News folder set up in my Bookmarks bar with about 17 news feeds I like to follow. I have the auto-click checked so it acts as a single button and one click shows me all the news from the 17 sites aggregated on a single page. Safari also nicely includes when there is something new there by putting the number of new items in parenthesis after the bookmarks bar link.

I don't follow forums with RSS though. To the right of my "RSS News" link in the Bookmarks bar, I set up another folder link. It has 3 forums I belong to... SuperCard + one about some 3D software + one about a website design app. Again, I have the auto-click checked so it acts as a single button.

So my routine is glancing at the RSS News every so often during the day and checking out new articles. Then clicking my "Forums" button and that brings up 3 tabs (one for each forum). I can tell... "Reliably" at a glance if there are new posts and where they are on the main page of the SuperCard User Forums. Of course, this fits in conveniently with the fact that I'm in Safari anyways, so the button is right there.

I suppose if I really wanted to keep checking without having Safari open, I could also make a web clip of the header for the SuperCard User Forums from the main page. Then I can just open Dashboard every so often and see at a glance the number of new messages... and clicking the "Board Index" link would open up Safari and bring me here as well.

Edit: Doh! The new message count in the header is for private messages. You could still use the web clip on the main page though... covering the list of forums if you wanted to go the Dashboard route.
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Return to Site News, Questions, and Feedback