Problem --> DVD with Data recognized as Blank

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

Problem --> DVD with Data recognized as Blank

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:47 pm

I burn a DVD with files for backup, using my wife's Mac Pro, by selecting the folder of files and then File --> Burn (selection), it just does it --> no hitches, 100% verified, the disc mounts, displays the contents, the files work, on her computer.
When I burn the DVD this way I get no options to choose from as I would if I were using Toast software. However Mac Help says the format is the HFS+/ISO-9660 hybrid type readable on both Macs & Windoz, which I think is the same as used by Toast called, "Mac and PC".
The Specs. of the DVD/CD Internal Burner in her MacPro Intel machine running OSX 10.5.8 is shown in the attached image on the left labelled "1."

When I try to mount the burnt DVD on my Dual G4 PPC running OSX 10.58 using the internal DVD/CD Drive (specs. shown on the right of the attached image and labelled, "2.") it is recognized as a blank DVD --> that's the problem. The finder can mount it but it's lost it's name (now, "untitled") and the finder shows it as empty when I doubleClick if as well as in "get-Info". Disk utility finds it as empty but would allow me to "erase it's contents".

If I use an external LaCie DVD Burner that's connected to the Dual G4 PPC, the DVD does mount, the Finder displays it's contents and the files work - all works without a problem. The specs of the LaCie external drive are shown below in the image labelled, "3."

The internal drive which appears to be the problem works fine with all previously burnt DVDs as long as they were not burnt on the Mac Pro intel computer.

Does anyone know why the DVD in question might behave as a blank DVD when presented to OSX 10.5.8 on the internal drive of the PPC ?
Or, whether there is a way to modify the burning of DVDs using this system that might provide a fix ?
Dan&Jodi DVD-CD HardWare 9_9_11.jpg
Dan&Jodi DVD-CD HardWare 9_9_11.jpg (59.89 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Re: Problem --> DVD with Data recognized as Blank

Postby Didier Gross » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Dan,

From your snapshot, I'd bet you have been using a DVD +, which the Mac Pro and the external drive can manage, but not the internal drive of the G4.
Didier Gross

Re: Problem --> DVD with Data recognized as Blank

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:08 pm

actually, i've been using Sony DVD-R ver2.1/1x-16x (so it says on the 120min/4.7GB DVDs
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Return to Off Topic Lounge