Resolution and iDevices

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

Resolution and iDevices

Postby vinnie-bob » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:52 am

I just finished reading an article about how much larger iOS apps have to become to support the higher resolution of the new iPad. Unfortunately, this appears to be something that will affect iPhone and iPad owners who do not have the new iPad as well. http://www.macworld.com/article/165797/2012/03/retina_display_ready_apps_and_the_coming_ipad_storage_crunch.html

So, I am wondering -- and I don't have a very deep understanding of graphics routines for GUI elements -- since the Mac supports various resolution screens and developers don't have to include resources for every resolution possible, why do iOS devices have to? I thought iOS was based on OS X, so if OS X can do this, why not iOS 5.1?

And since there are obvious differences in the way iOS deals with GUI resources at various resolutions, shouldn't Apple be working on a graphics overhaul, like maybe making an API that interprets vector graphic information for use as GUI elements? Then one set of resources can serve the needs of various screen sizes and resolutions... no?

Maybe Mark can enlighten me....
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Re: Resolution and iDevices

Postby codegreen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:50 am

vinnie-bob wrote:So, I am wondering -- and I don't have a very deep understanding of graphics routines for GUI elements -- since the Mac supports various resolution screens and developers don't have to include resources for every resolution possible, why do iOS devices have to?

iOS apps typically are relatively rich in developer-supplied images (at least compared to OS X apps, where a UI consisting entirely of system-supplied controls is not uncommon and the only graphical element many applications supply is an icon). To take full advantage of increased resolution on either platform developers must add higher-rez copies of any such original graphical content (which otherwise is scaled up). This stuff tends to make up a larger proportion of an iOS app's overall size, which means they tend to bloat faster as target resolution increases.

Also so far we haven't seen this kind of abrupt resolution jump on the Mac platform (the original 128k's 72 DPI evolved into the 11" MacBook Air's 135 DPI over a quarter-century - a factor of 1.875) so the impact is less obvious. The iPad's resolution is doubling in a single step though.

shouldn't Apple be working on a graphics overhaul, like maybe making an API that interprets vector graphic information for use as GUI elements?

Sure, and why not just invent a cure for hemorrhoids while they're at it?

-Mark
codegreen

Re: Resolution and iDevices

Postby vinnie-bob » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:32 am

Sure, and why not just invent a cure for hemorrhoids while they're at it?

-Mark

Well, with a hundred million in profits hanging around, they could easily hire enough engineers to cover both problems.
;)
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Return to Off Topic Lounge