Open Source LiveCode

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

Open Source LiveCode

Postby sctell » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 am

Here is an interesting link for those familiar with one of SC's competitors.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755283828/open-source-edition-of-livecode

I assume that financially they are having difficulties.

Does anyone know the story?

All the best
sctell

Re: Open Source LiveCode

Postby codegreen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Most likely it's an end-run attempt to get xtalk the respect it deserves as a language by making it free to high school and college CompSci teachers and students and the open-source community. Nowadays tools like Python have scooped up most of the mindshare once accorded xtalks (even though they're all far geekier and more difficult to master) in part because the financial barrier to entry is lower, and also because users feel better inoculated against the potential failure of single-source tool vendors.

This strategy is basically what gave us the plague of clunky and insecure Java apps that's just now finally abating, so if they can actually raise enough money it's probably not a bad idea from their point of view. They get outsiders to pay them to clean up their code and then volunteers to maintain it going forward (and handle the bulk of tech support), and they still can charge for licenses to use the technology in commercial apps.

Of course I could be totally off-base here...

-Mark
codegreen

Postby sctell » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:44 am

It does seem on the face of it to be because of financial issues.

I'd always assumed that "Kickstarter" projects were more to do with people who had a good idea but could not raise the capital to develop and deliver the project.
This seems more akin to a failing business trying to raise money to keep going, why else do it.

It does sound as though they have been having issues for some time as they forever seem to try and reinvent and re-market the language and IDE along with a new license scheme.

Interestingly Real Software are doing a similar thing with REAL Studio with their basic IDE and compiler by offering a free licence for in-house and hobbyists. I have been lurking on their forum and a number of people are concerned by their new licensing costs. They, in trying to grow their user base, also seem to be in need of cash but perhaps not so desperate as they are not going open source (should I say YET).

These, LiveCode & Real Studio, also seem to have a multitude of bugs that don't seem to get squashed very quickly.

LiveCode does not have a Cocoa version, so I can't see that happening now for some time.

Real Studio has a Cocoa based version in progress that is due at some point this year.

I think the financial barrier is becoming quite a major issue, as to invest $300 + future upgrade costs in a product that seems to be always in development and may at some point have the plug pulled on it is a serious outlay especially for those who do not use the product in a professional situation.

Also, the time spent in learning a products language, even for a professional developer only to be dumped or have your product hindered by unresolved bugs would I am sure be seriously frustrating.

It would be interesting to know what the future holds for SC ;)

All the best
sctell

Postby Jonathan.F » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 pm

They appear to have reached their financial goal, so I guess we will see what happens.

Jonathan
Jonathan.F

Postby sctell » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 pm

I have noted they have asked for more money to achieve a Cocoa conversion and with only 1 day left they may struggle to reach that goal.

If they fail to make the target for Cocoa then where does that leave people who have pledged many thousands for a lifetime licence as surely in the near future Apple will withdraw Carbon from the mix altogether and that will mean the end of LiveCode on the Mac.

Similarly, unless the folks at SC have something up their sleeve, then again in the not to distant future I presume the writing is on the wall for SC.

That would leave Real Studio as the only major development environment, other than Objective-C, as they are now fairly close to a full Cocoa release.

I know I have harped on about this before but really we should have had some indication of what the future holds for SC by now or are we all just going to be dumped. :(

All the best

Terry
sctell

Postby vinnie-bob » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 pm

------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Return to Off Topic Lounge