Censorship on Quickeys board....

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

Censorship on Quickeys board....

Postby vinnie-bob » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:25 am

Specifically I am referring to the community Forums on CESoftware's site for Quickeys, the somewhat defunct macros program of old.

Most of my posts get deleted there whenever they are in any way critical of the current state of the product. An example: someone posts a question about problems they are having with the free trial and wondering whether they should buy the product and whether they will eventually get an update that works. Management replies that current buyers are contributing to funding to support the upcoming upgrade and also mentions that Quickeys isn't that "crippled" (an adjective I used in a previous post). So I responded with my list of things that don't work and then proposed that it was very unlikely that a new user would plop down $60 for a macro program which is riddled with bugs and non-working features (last update was Snow Leopard and significant bugs have affected it since then, all unaddressed.) For example, using Softkeys palettes to launch shortcuts ONLY works if you run the palette, click on the item you want, and THEN you have to quit and relaunch Quickeys. Yeah, that is their idea of a good workaround for the problem.

To me, since they are short on funding for getting the update coded by an outside developer (due to the death of their usual developer mid-update about 2 years ago), there is no way they will ever reach that goal if they are depending on current sales. My last post was suggesting a Kickstarter project, which, given the results of Run Rev's LiveCode experiment, seems a much more likely path to success. The post was promptly deleted.

What morons...
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Re: Censorship on Quickeys board....

Postby Scott » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Quickeys has been struggling ever since the birth of OS X. While I used the current version up until Lion, it seemed pretty clear Startly is where products go to die. Have a look at Keyboard Maestro for what is IMHO a superior replacement.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby vinnie-bob » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:30 pm

You're absolutely right, Scott. And if the best plan they can come up with is that the update funding is depending on current sales, that is pretty sad. Not to mention the fact that they are farming out the work to an independent developer. If they do manage to get a working update out, my guess is that is will be just about the time the next version of OS X comes out (and yes, and that would be THREE versions since the last upgrade during Snow Leopard?)...when it will likely be bug ridden again.

Just clicked "buy" for keyboard maestro.
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby JoshRu » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm not a heavy Keyboard Maestro user, but I've had it for 3 years and it's been great. FYI.
JoshRu

Return to Off Topic Lounge