adobe creative cloud - good or evil?

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

adobe creative cloud - good or evil?

Postby vinnie-bob » Mon May 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Well, I knew this day was coming...Adobe says you won't be able to buy CD upgrades for your current Adobe software. Anyone who uses Adobe will need to convert to Creative Cloud for $20-40/month for updating customers (for 1 year) and $50 per month standard fee after 1 year.

I see this eliminating many people who do not use Adobe apps professionally. People say that if you don't want to do the 'every month rental' thing, you can just "rent" a single app for a month if you want, but at $70, I don't see people doing that very often. Add into that cost the time it takes you to read up on the latest features and figure out how to use them effectively.

I think my time and money will be better spent with cheaper replacements for Adobe Apps. But, I am REALLY missing Macromedia Freehand now, since there isn't a competitive Illustrator replacement out there. And boy, the people who make Acorn could not have picked a better time to release a well-reviewed update! (and it is on sale for half price this month...).

Thoughts?
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Re: adobe creative cloud - good or evil?

Postby Scott » Mon May 06, 2013 3:21 pm

I moved on from Adobe years ago. For some time now it has all been a fat, bloated pig, with frequent and expensive ".0" upgrades that bring little more to the table than feature bloat. I occasionally miss illustrator and inDesign for print work... but thankfully I don't do much of that anymore.

There are plenty of open source and indie dev alternatives I would much rather support including Gimp, InkScape, Acorn, ArtText, Pixelmator and others. That may sound like a lot, but they provide me the advantage of not having to start up a Cat D5 in order to sweep out the garage.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby FourthWorld4444 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 am

Scott wrote:I moved on from Adobe years ago. For some time now it has all been a fat, bloated pig, with frequent and expensive ".0" upgrades that bring little more to the table than feature bloat. I occasionally miss illustrator and inDesign for print work... but thankfully I don't do much of that anymore.

There are plenty of open source and indie dev alternatives I would much rather support including Gimp, InkScape, Acorn, ArtText, Pixelmator and others. That may sound like a lot, but they provide me the advantage of not having to start up a Cat D5 in order to sweep out the garage.

Well said, Scott. Ever since I started using GIMP and Scribus I've been wondering why I used to give so much money to a company that cared so little about me. Now I donate what used to be Adobe license fees to these FOSS projects, and I'm getting so much more for my money, from happy developers who really appreciate their users.
-
Richard Gaskin
Fourth World Media Corporation
http://www.fourthworld.com
FourthWorld4444

Postby vinnie-bob » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:19 pm

I have been using Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for a bit. I really like Designer a lot for vector artwork. It also imports Illustrator and even Freehand Files, so I can convert my old projects. I think these are decent replacements for most of the features I used in Adobe apps, and the price is reasonable. Check them out on the App store.
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Evil, definitely evil.

I couldn't get the Creative Cloud App (for sharing files in the office) to work and spent a month dealing with their tech support people (in India) for a month before they said "UpGrade to the latest Apple OS and it will solve your problems". I did not upgrade because of some big flaws in the latest two OS upgrades, and told them why, and they still set my complaint to "Solved".

My boss, who knows no key commands and calls me into his office at least once a day to solve basic tech issues for him, is all about creative cloud - even though it has major issues as far as I'm concerned (no zoom on client review images, no sticky notes or other PDF mark-up features either…). I welcome someplace else to put our money. Don't be fooled by their "use it this month - cancel anytime" mantra because it just isn't true. There are cancellation fees involved.
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 am

vinnie-bob wrote:I have been using Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo

+1 on these two apps. I have been using them for some time and find both to be extremely good replacements for PS and Illustrator. They have quite a number of well done video tutorials on their site that will demonstrate what these apps are capable of. This is an Indie Dev that is very much worth your support, and at $100 for the pair, it's a no brainer.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/
Scott
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic Lounge