Laser printer recommendations

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

Laser printer recommendations

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:34 am

My son is now in college and needs a printer because of all the work being supplied via digital files (mostly PDFs scanned from books) that need to be filled out by hand.

I want to get him a laser printer since he doesn't need colour and ink-jet printers will cost a lot more over time when you factor in the cost and frequency of ink cartridge replacements.

That being said, can anyone recommend a good printer or steer me away from the bad ones? I've seen many complaints here over the years about bad or infrequent Mac print driver updates. (I hear 'Brother' printers are really bad for this.)

Thanks

Joe
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Re: Laser printer recommendations

Postby Scott » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Joe,

I have had both monochrome and color laser printers from Brother over the last ten years and have never run into any issues. They use a pretty generic CUPS driver, which I think is a good thing.

In fact, the only driver issues I have ever run into has been with H/P, on both Windows and Mac.

HTH

-ss
Scott
Site Admin

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:11 am

Thanks Scott,

Brother brand printers seem to be everywhere, but online reviewers all seemed to be complaining about the drivers. I'll look into it some more since they do seem to have more models at modest prices.

Joe
Joe Koomen
JoeKoomen2011

Postby Scott » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:47 am

Specifically, what were their complaints? Was there any consensus?

Over the years I have not paid much attention to online reviews. I find them inaccurate due to the following reasons:

1.) User reviews significantly skewed do to the fact that very few rush online to post a review of a perfectly satisfactory product, and questionable high tech skills from reviewers reporting problems.

2.) "Professional" reviews from folks who have no business professionally reviewing tech. This is not to say there are not qualified reviewers out there, but with the explosion of tech over the last 10 years, and so much to report, too many of them simply pass on what they here or parrot PR's, with many not spending legitimate (or any) time with the product.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks again Scott. We got a small Brother laser printer along with a ream of paper and a replacement toner cartridge ALL for under $200. Works great with no printer driver issues.
Joe Koomen
JoeKoomen2011

Return to Off Topic Lounge