Dead laptop?

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

Dead laptop?

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:24 am

Posted here because you're all smarter and respond faster than most tech sites I've seen...

I bought my daughter a used older model Macbook Pro about 8 months ago (Model A1260) so the warranty is already gone.

It shut down on her a few nights ago, because of overheating - or so she says. It seems she hadn't restarted it in months.

I couldn't restart in in safe mode or get it to fix itself from the terminal mode (tried all the recommendations from Apple's site). I backed up her data and erased the hard drive and proceeded to reinstall the OS.

My OS 10.6.3 disk kept ejecting instead of booting (as did an OS 10.5.3 disk). I got an OS 10.5.1 disk to boot and started to install the system. After a few minutes, the install crashes and the laptop restarts. I tried a second time and now I'm seeing weird pixelization on the screen, as if the monitor wasn't plugged into the motherboard tightly.

Any advice here? It seems like the hard drive is fine, but I'm thinking the motherboard or the processor is going. Should I take it in for expensive tech support or cut my loses and just get a new laptop.

Joe
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Re: Dead laptop?

Postby Scott » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:10 am

There are a few things to try here:

Reset the PRAM by starting up with Command-Option-P-R held down. Hold them down until you here the startup chime 3 times in a row.

Reset the SMC. There are two sets of instructions available at the bottom of http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 depending on whether you can remove the battery.

Note that most Apple supplied system disks (ones that come with computers) will not usually boot other devices they were not targeted for. You may need a full retail version of the OS in order to boot and install if you don't have system disks for that particular MacBook.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:38 am

I've reset the PRAM a few times, which allowed the OS 10.5.1 disk to mount.

The OS 10.6.3 was purchased online probably a year ago. I assume it's a full retail version, but I did order it from my work computer - a big box Mac Pro - and not a laptop. Does Apple do some sleight of hand when sending out system disks?

I'll try to reset the SMC when I get home tonight.

Thanks again Scott.
Joe Koomen
JoeKoomen2011

Postby Scott » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:57 pm

If it was a retail copy of OS X, it should be universal. This disk should have a color label (as opposed to the grey labeled disks that are supplied with Macs).
Scott
Site Admin

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:12 pm

It should be universal then. It has the Snow Leopard printed on the disk. I reset the PRAM and SMC but still no luck.

The Snow Leopard disk just keeps getting ejected and the Leopard disk crashes halfway through the installation process every time. I've erased the drive a few times too.

Looks like my next option is taking it into an Apple store to have a 'genius' tell me I need a new computer....

Thanks

Joe
Joe Koomen
JoeKoomen2011

Postby sctell » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:48 pm

I think this is the Early 2008 model.

I believe this model was affected by the NVIDIA scandal.

See this Apple support doc

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

I had one of these and had video display issues and took it back in November 2008 and Apple changed it for the first Unibody model.
This also gave me problems 2 years later (2010), fortunately I had AppleCare and they changed the screen and the main board. I am still using it today. Thinking about a new iMac next year though.

Anyway, whether Apple will do anything about your computer or not, I don't know but the article suggests not. Perhaps they will show some mercy.

If you were in the UK they would have to deal with it because any faults/design issues that were there when it was first purchased are covered for 6 years.

Good luck

Terry
sctell

Postby sctell » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Here's some troubleshooting comments from iFixit for this model

http://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/MacBook_Pro_15%22_Core_2_Duo_Models_A1226_and_A1260_Troubleshooting

Good luck

Terry
sctell

Postby Scott » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:39 am

JoeKoomen2011 wrote:Looks like my next option is taking it into an Apple store to have a 'genius' tell me I need a new computer....

Before doing that, do you have an external drive you could try installing leopard to?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 am

I actually hooked up the laptop to my desktop at work and booted it as an external Firewire device and was able to install the OS via firewire cable. Kind of a weird process but it worked.

Thanks guys.
Joe Koomen
JoeKoomen2011

Postby Scott » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:46 am

Sounds like a it was the optical drive then.
Scott
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic Lounge