Yosemite OS

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

Yosemite OS

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:44 am

I've finally upgraded our office (actually in the process since it takes an hour per machine) from OS 10.6.8 to 10.7.5 because Safari no longer works with a number of websites we use.

I've avoided upgrades since last year when I accidentally upgraded to Mavericks and discovered just how poorly it worked with my relatively new laptop. Now as more software becomes obsolete, it's looking like I'll need to go to 10.10 sometime next year.

Anyone care to chime in on its reliability? I've heard people on the list say that 10.6.8. was the last stable release for the Mac, and Yosemite's current issues with dropping WiFi sound pretty serious. Any other issues I should know about?

Thanks

Joe
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Re: Yosemite OS

Postby Scott » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:55 pm

IIRC, I have had wifi dropouts going back as far as 10.7 (maybe 10.8), so I am a poor candidate to evaluate if Yosemite is any worse. I have seen it happen, but toggling wifi or a reboot usually fixes it.

While I am not found of the (IMO) less readable text and cartoonish graphics in the interface, I will say that it feels more svelte and has less annoying bugs than 10.7-10.9, especially if you run multiple monitors. There are issues, but they have been mostly cosmetic.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby sctell » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:44 pm

I have to agree with Scott, I found the new system font (Helvetica Neue) virtually unusable when I upgraded.

I came across this workaround which has helped particularly with the menubar font.

https://github.com/schreiberstein/lucidagrandeyosemite

Try at your own risk but it has improved things for me.

The colour picker and the folder colour ((imo)) are a design disaster.

I know Jonathan Ive is a Brit but no support from me for this effort, he should have limited himself to the hardware.

All the best

Terry
sctell

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks Guys.

I've been reading quite a bit about Yosemite this morning and it seems to have a whole lot of nothing I need. Not using an iPhone or pad means most new features don't apply to me. I think I'll hold off as long as I can. Judging by the comments on most review articles, you're far from the only one who doesn't like the new design disaster, Terry.
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Postby witness » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:03 am

sctell wrote:I have to agree with Scott, I found the new system font (Helvetica Neue) virtually unusable when I upgraded. (...) I know Jonathan Ive is a Brit but no support from me for this effort, he should have limited himself to the hardware.

IMHO the issue is that he's designed for the best hardware (Retina Macs) but too many people out there still have non-Retina machines (part of that is Apple's inability to find suitable screens, display connectors and GPUs, I suppose). Having a Retina work Mac but still using non-Retina machines at home, I personally find that the new font is perfect for the Retina machine. It just looks too blotchy on the older screens.

So I'd chalk that up under "growing pains". If they do a few bugfix updates, we should be fine.
Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are Everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de
witness

Return to Off Topic Lounge