curious about whether or not to Back Up

Here's where to discuss topics that have nothing to do with using SuperCard, but may be of interest to the membership.

curious about whether or not to Back Up

Postby Anderson » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 am

I was reading the items on upgrading to Yosemite and on investigating that I noticed that a back-up was recommended prior to making changes to OS. I don't back up my computer and I am curious whether most others do or not and by what methods. Any comments would be appreciated.
Anderson.
iMac - Yosemite - SC(4.73)
Anderson

Re: curious about whether or not to Back Up

Postby vinnie-bob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Anderson, you are a wildman, living on the edge.

I do a time machine backup, and then I back up to two different hard drives at home (rotating schedule) and I have an old hard drive that I back up to once every month or two and I store it at work in case my house has a disaster.

You may not have had a problem requiring a backup so far…but some day, you will.

Vince
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby vinnie-bob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Oh, submitted before I was finished. So yeah, Time Machine is an easy way to keep a backup which you don't have to think about because it runs automatically. Since I have a lot of audio files and programming things that I don't want to lose, I do a bit extra.

So for non-Time Machine backups, I use Retrospect, which is a bit pricy (but tax deductible for the business) and has enough flexibility to cope with my needs. It does incremental backups and can do this block level incremental backup which speeds up the backup time by eliminating some extra copying. Some of my backups with this program use software data compression due to size limitations of the backup disk, but I prefer not to use this if possible. It can be run with scheduled scripts to run automatically. This program is probably beyond the needs of most people.

There are simpler options available. I think Toast comes with a backup program, and if you ever bought an external hard drive, a lot of those will also come with a backup program thrown in. Many people use Carbon Copy cloner, or Super Duper for their backups.

If you need to get an external hard drive in your laptop or computer, and you get the drive from Other World Computing, they usually throw in a backup program (from Prosoft Engineering, I think).

But you really need to think about backing up. You just never know when a software or hardware glitch is gonna bite you on a sensitive body part…
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby Scott » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:46 am

I use two time machine backups, always rotating one off site. I also make regular, bootable clones of each system using a tool like super duper or carbon copy cloner.

I always make a new clone of any system before any major upgrades.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Anderson » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:52 am

Okay, I'm not on a network, so I need hardware to back up the iMac, what do I need to buy?
Anderson.
Anderson

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:37 am

Just an external hard drive and the cable to hook it up to your mac (surprisingly, not all externals come with the cables). You should have Time Machine on you mac already and it will ask you you want it to run the first time you turn it on. You can get a reasonably good drive for $100 (I got one with 3TB of space a few years ago for that price).

Don't depend on one external, in case it dies. I have two that I cycle.
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Postby Anderson » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks ALL for guiding me to a solution. I'm considering getting a Model STDR1000100
Seagate® 1TB Portable Backup Plus Slim Hard Drive.
Anderson.
Anderson

Return to Off Topic Lounge