popupmenu() menu character limit???

Having trouble using an XCmd or XFcn? Post your questions here.

popupmenu() menu character limit???

Postby gonetriadrr » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:53 am

Activated around 450 fonts to stress the hierFontMenu test project.
Towards the end of the menu, instead of the menu list's submenu, SuperCard menus appeared?

DCS
gonetriadrr

Re: popupmenu() menu character limit???

Postby codegreen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:34 am

onetriadrr wrote:Activated around 450 fonts to stress the hierFontMenu test project.
Towards the end of the menu, instead of the menu list's submenu, SuperCard menus appeared?

PopupMenu is only designed to handle a maximum of 300 menus; after that its behavior is undefined.

Ordinarily that should be more than enough (since for almost any other conceivable application besides fonts that's far more items than a menu should contain, and IIRC more than at the time popupMenu was written one even COULD contain).

FWIW a better (and faster) solution than increasing this limit would probably be a custom external that used the font manager to create a hierarchical font menu and parsed the user's choice directly into the relevant global props. Would that work for you?

-Mark
codegreen

Re: popupmenu() menu character limit???

Postby gonetriadrr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:07 am

mark wrote:FWIW a better (and faster) solution than increasing this limit would probably be a custom external that used the font manager to create a hierarchical font menu and parsed the user's choice directly into the relevant global props. Would that work for you?

-Mark

Kind of you to offer. I typically only use a handful of fonts in SuperCard. Only displaying a user defined subset of fonts would be a more practical application for a menu project IMHO.

As i explained in a follow-up post, the real purpose of the font menu project is to test a pared down set of parsers.
I can only assume these work the same on Intel machines.
The ultimate goal is to get font character bezier path coordinates & kerning tables.
TrueType/OpenType format is a nightmare.

Thanks,
DCS
gonetriadrr

Return to Using Externals