Why SuperCard for Intel can't run old PowePC XCmds

Having trouble using an XCmd or XFcn? Post your questions here.

Why SuperCard for Intel can't run old PowePC XCmds

Postby witness » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 am

Hi,

I blogged about something quite technical about the Mac OS X Intel transition a while ago, and thought it might be of interest to the more technical among SuperCard's users, as it relates to plugins like XCMDs and XFCNs:

http://orangejuiceliberationfront.com/u ... -pointers/

Would love to hear what SuperCard users and XCMD developers think, and whether it's too programmerish or understandable.
Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are Everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de
witness

Re: Why SuperCard for Intel can't run old PowePC XCmds

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:42 am

Hi Uli,
Would love to hear what SuperCard users and XCMD developers think, and whether it's too programmerish or understandable.

Even as a beginner still, I always I enjoy your writing and clarity and understanding of the Mac OS system and its evolution and you help to increase the understanding of SuperCard users like myself. I can't speak for the creators of externals but I certainly believe you help them two and I appreciate that. I smiled when you referred to the similarity to a "Go to" statement and I visualized my old GE Basic Blue & White manual on regression analysis.

What I would like to see added to this particular article (but the idea is broader) are some summary sentences of a kind that include more of your thoughts and opinions on the significance and possible paths forward, or work-a-rounds or lack thereof. And the impact on SuperCard users and external makers. For this type of informed opinion I rely on the occasional information and -opinions- from folks like you and Scott and Mark and Vinnie and Richard Gaskin and other. Bashing and complaining is not useful but reality checking and brainstorming and getting a clear understanding of the issues out there is very useful. The utility of SuperCard ain't going away. It's improvement is a very worthy goal.

For an unrelated example, I appreciated Scott's recent post regarding the problems with Unicode encodings. (search "Hebrew and Lithuanian"). What immediately came to my mind was the possibility of "padding" to standardize number of bytes. Do the international consortium folks involved in making unicode useful appreciate the issues that arise? Should we be letting them know? How do others outside of SuperCard deal with that issue?

For another unrelated example, my sixteen year old is a Mac Fanatic on the Robotics team and ideas for APPs. He worked hard last year using your tutorial and now has been using a Nerd Ranch (I think) tutorial for objective C, with a goal to build an APP with an image-based database of unique images of Torah portions (images of text from unique physical Torahs) so that people can practice their portions using both what they ACTUALLY will be chanting from that lacks Vowels and Lacks the Chanting Melody Marks, called trope) in conjuction with the portion in a Tikkun that does contain both types of marks in it's own font and layout. One form of this APP would be for the Mac desktop and one for the iPhone/iPad) and a pdf etc. I said SuperCard could build the project nicely, at least four the Mac Desktop and who knows what the future will bring. He said it would not be allowed in the APP store because it's not built in Objective C. I said Mike Yenco did it with some special help, tweaking, from Mark and Scott and I read him Mike's posts from last year. He wanted to know "What was the nature of the special help Mike got? I think, he said, that they must have ported it to Objective C. I said I thought not but I wish I knew.

I do wish I knew; "more of your thoughts and opinions on the significance and possible paths forward, or work-a-rounds or lack thereof. And the impact on SuperCard users and external makers."
kinda rambling I know,
(this divorce is "killing me" but I ain't dead yet)
-Dan
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Re: Why SuperCard for Intel can't run old PowePC XCmds

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Dan_Kelleher wrote:I said SuperCard could build the project nicely, at least four the Mac Desktop and who knows what the future will bring. He said it would not be allowed in the APP store because it's not built in Objective C. I said Mike Yenco did it with some special help, tweaking, from Mark and Scott and I read him Mike's posts from last year. He wanted to know "What was the nature of the special help Mike got? I think, he said, that they must have ported it to Objective C. I said I thought not but I wish I knew.

Dan...

Your son is somewhat misinformed. The objective C requirement for App Store submissions was reversed on iOS long before the Mac App Store ever existed. The main MAS requirements that would reject SuperCard standalones are:

1.) They must be Intel only.

2.) They must be sandboxed.

3.) Code within code (externals) are not allowed.

What Mike used was a tool I designed for embedding custom runtime resources, and enforcing the various codesigning Apple requires in apps and their binaries. That along with some very crafty code from Mark that converts externals used in a project to application frameworks that are signed and located in the bundle. That takes care of 1 and 3.

But the sandboxing issue is a mixed bag. While it is easy to build a sandboxed app using this tool, it can get more complicated depending on what your project does, and your justification for it to Apple in order to be able to use the entitlement it may require. For instance... you can pretty much rule out the shell function! :twisted:
Scott
Site Admin

Return to Using Externals