QTRecordsound:what Text names of audio devices

Having trouble using an XCmd or XFcn? Post your questions here.

QTRecordsound:what Text names of audio devices

Postby vicpierce » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:31 am

I'd like to use SC to record what audio is being played by my mac to an AIFF file.
The library entry for QTRecordsound says that "Param 8 may be used to specify the input device to record from (pass the text name of the device to use".
Where might I find these text names?

Many thanks,

Vic Pierce
vicpierce

Re: QTRecordsound:what Text names of audio devices

Postby johncollett » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:32 am

In System Preferences/Sound.
It says Choose a device for sound input, and lists Names and Types. The Names are the texts.
JC
johncollett

Postby Ken Norris » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Vic,

vicpierce wrote:I'd like to use SC to record what audio is being played by my mac to an AIFF file.
The library entry for QTRecordsound says that "Param 8 may be used to specify the input device to record from (pass the text name of the device to use".
Where might I find these text names?

Many thanks,

Vic Pierce

The external has limited capabilities. If you're looking for a WireTap or AudioHijack thing, then QTRecordSound cannot do that. It only records sound which is being input to your Mac, from things like the Internal Mic or the Line In jack. For example, it will not record sounds being played on your Mac that are coming from the internet

Further, it won't record sound direct to AIFF or MP3 files, only to Movie files (.mov) on the audio track. Any conversions must be done post-recording.

But I'd pay for an external that could do those things.
All the best,
Ken N.
http://fhtinyradio.com/
kenn@fhtinyradio.com
Ken Norris

Postby Dave_Higgins » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:03 am

Ken Norris wrote:The external has limited capabilities. If you're looking for a WireTap or AudioHijack thing, then QTRecordSound cannot do that. It only records sound which is being input to your Mac, from things like the Internal Mic or the Line In jack. For example, it will not record sounds being played on your Mac that are coming from the internet

Further, it won't record sound direct to AIFF or MP3 files, only to Movie files (.mov) on the audio track. Any conversions must be done post-recording.

Audio Hijack Pro has a very extensive AppleScript library. I bet it could be driven to do pretty much anything you want that way.

However, if you are using the audio inputs that QTRecordSound will record on, the AppleScript from Audio Hijack Pro might match the names that you need for this external...

tell application "Audio Hijack Pro" to set x to the audio inputs

audio input "Default System Input" of application "Audio Hijack Pro"...
    audio input "Silence Input" of...
    audio input "Built-in Microphone: Internal microphone" of...
    audio input "Built-in Input: Line In" of...
    audio input "Soundflower (2ch)" of...
    audio input "Soundflower (16ch)" of...
So, it looks like if you specify anything it would want whatever is in quotes, like "Built-in Microphone: Internal microphone". If you set the external to use "Default System Input" then I would assume it uses whatever you set in the Sound System Prefs.
My two favorite teams are Detroit and whoever's playing Chicago.
Dave_Higgins

Postby Ken Norris » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi Dave,

Manyt thanks ...

Dave Higgins wrote:
Ken Norris wrote:The external has limited capabilities. If you're looking for a WireTap or AudioHijack thing, then QTRecordSound cannot do that. It only records sound which is being input to your Mac, from things like the Internal Mic or the Line In jack. For example, it will not record sounds being played on your Mac that are coming from the internet

Audio Hijack Pro has a very extensive AppleScript library. I bet it could be driven to do pretty much anything you want that way.

However, if you are using the audio inputs that QTRecordSound will record on, the AppleScript from Audio Hijack Pro might match the names that you need for this external...

tell application "Audio Hijack Pro" to set x to the audio inputs

audio input "Default System Input" of application "Audio Hijack Pro"...
    audio input "Silence Input" of...
    audio input "Built-in Microphone: Internal microphone" of...
    audio input "Built-in Input: Line In" of...
    audio input "Soundflower (2ch)" of...
    audio input "Soundflower (16ch)" of...
So, it looks like if you specify anything it would want whatever is in quotes, like "Built-in Microphone: Internal microphone". If you set the external to use "Default System Input" then I would assume it uses whatever you set in the Sound System Prefs.

I just noticed your post here. I hadn't checked Audio Hijack's AS lib, so I didn't know this. I have Audio Hijack Pro, but I don't see any refs to Soundflower, although I have the plugin. Where are these?

TIA ...
All the best,
Ken N.
http://fhtinyradio.com/
kenn@fhtinyradio.com
Ken Norris

Return to Using Externals