Where is sortField?

Having trouble using an XCmd or XFcn? Post your questions here.

Where is sortField?

Postby MichaelBluejay » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 am

I read there was a sortField external but I'm not able to find it. Is it still available?

And is there a way to sort a multi-line string by lines in memory (without using a field or cards)?
MichaelBluejay

Re: Where is sortField?

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:11 am

Hello Michael,
The sortField and sortFieldByItem externals are in the SuperCard project named "Xtend", which is located at;
/Library/Application Support/SuperCard 4.6.3/SC Pouch/SC Help/Help Projects/Xtend

You can access it from within SuperCard. The rightmost menu is the "Help" Menu. Open the, "SuperCard Help", project via the Help Menu and then click on the "Library" Icon on the top left and select, "Xtend"

The second part of your question is unclear to me. I think you you need to think about exactly what you want and then read-up on any entries in the SuperCard Script Language Guide (SuperCard Help Project) that you think might be useful
to create the text-handling scripts you want to write.

-Dan
Dan_Kelleher

Re: Where is sortField?

Postby MichaelBluejay » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:20 am

Thank you very much for the help, it's exactly what I needed. I thought sortField was an independently-created add-on (not bundled), so I didn't think to look within the SuperCard release itself. I found it, and despite its name, it does sort containers, not just fields (which was the second part of my question).

Before I found this, I was thinking that I could send data to the Unix "sort" command via the shell, but I think to end the input I need to end the input with control-D, and I don't know how to get that into a string. While I already have a sort solution now, it might be helpful to know how to generate a ctrl-D for the future. Do you know how to do that?
MichaelBluejay

Return to Using Externals