Forum for Obj-C/Cocoa newbies?

External developers... This forum's for you!

Forum for Obj-C/Cocoa newbies?

Postby Dave_Higgins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Well, it's getting scary... I'm understanding more and more of Obj-C/Cocoa (and spending more and more time in the docs trying to figure out the right way to do things)...

I'm wondering what some of you Cocoa veterans might suggest for message forums (sites) that are helpful to (and tolerant of) Obj-C/Cocoa newbies. Got a few things that I'm ready to start posting questions about, but it doesn't really relate (not directly, anyway) to SC, so I don't wanna pollute this forum with generic Cocoa questions (although I'm sure there are a couple/few of you who could handle them).

I've stumbled on a few while Google searching various terms, but before I tune in and sign up with one or two, I'm looking for some experienced input.

Thanks.
My two favorite teams are Detroit and whoever's playing Chicago.
Dave_Higgins

Re: Forum for Obj-C/Cocoa newbies?

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:53 am

"...so I don't wanna pollute this forum with generic Cocoa questions..."

It would seem related to the use of the IT, at he least, and perhaps very good for SuperCard and it's powerful suite of tools.
I understand the related-ness and the non-related-ness, but perhaps it's worth a thought...
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:24 am

Agreed. I am not sure Q's here would be considered pollution. In fact, if they remotely relate to issues beginning Xcode/External authors would face I can think of no better place.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:53 am

But Dave, I'd also be interested in other newbie forums you might discover as well.

WARNING:The following migrates off topic and is a bit rambling.

I got back into Xcode, because, after a trip to Palo Alto and The Mothership in Cupertino, my 14 year old son, Jeremy, told my wife, Jodi, that that he would build an iPad app for SGD (Saccharomyces Genome Database) run out of the Gentics Dept at Stanford! (because, jeremy said) Steve Jobs had said it was easy! (actually it was one of the other folks at Apple I think).

We responded with enthusiasm and I told him we (note the we - I was not to be left out) first needed to start with an intro to C and that I knew just the place; Uli Kusterer's C Tutorial. When we got home, he reminded me a few times so off we went and he did very well during about 10 sessions of he and I working together, especially when he did something additional on his own and called us up to his room to see! (His enthusiasm has faded at the moment but thats OK - he learned a lot).

To try to keep ahead of him I re-fired-up Xcode and, like you, read a lot of docs but I'd guess that we still have others to read! I learned a lot too and the similarities and differences between SuperCard and Obj-C+Interface Builder+The RuntimeEngine are very interesting. A background in SuperCard and a little bit of C helps a lot.

I, like Jeremy, have dropped it for the moment because I'm trying to create opportunities for myself in retirement to supplement my income and do the things I love, all of which will involve SuperCard in one way or another.

In some cases, I've been promoting SuperCard strongly:
for example, the following is the first item of a supplement to the Background and Goals section of my CV.

1. I relish utilizing powerful instrumentation like the high-level (meaning easy but not trivial) scripting language and application development environment of the Mac platform; the SuperCard application suite of tools. In particular, it has proven to be
very useful to extract data from databases and other resources for in-house conjunction and optimal-for-usefulness presentation of new ‘synthesized-data’. By “conjunction”, I’m referring to
assembly of data as one would assemble a set of simultaneous equations to allow elimination of some data and facilitate focus on a subset, something we all do each day in our own ways. See the 3 links ([1], [2], [3]) in the “Hobbies” listing of the “Personal” section of, “DanCV_81810.pdf”, for a small sampling of some kinds of things that can be done using SuperCard. I believe that this powerful scripting tool should be, available-to and part-of-the-arsenal-of, all appropriate researchers today. I would like to help that happen. I think it would facilitate finding next-step possibilities based on estimates of the ‘multiplicative product’ of importance and do-ability.

Ideally, I would like to work at the computer on project-level assignments and both generate new ‘synthesized-data’ and, for those appropriate, interested personnel, introduce them to the details of how I incorporate the use of Supercard tools.

The 3 links within the above except are listed below:
(looks like the first link may require direct pasting into a browser)
(perhaps the forum rejects the copyright symbol after "TAP" ?)

1.[url]http://users.umassmed.edu/Daniel.Kelleher/KelleherResumePDFs/TAP©/index.html[/url]
2.http://users.umassmed.edu/Daniel.Kelleher/KelleherResumePDFs/hProtAnal_Tool/index.html
3.http://users.umassmed.edu/Daniel.Kelleher/KelleherResumePDFs/MergeFilesTool/index.html

-sorry for getting carried away here, (I've been immersed in this for a week plus... that and washing rugs
-lets hope I get a job and we have many more forum members (no pay for washing these rugs)
-Scott, if helpful please use whatever you like of this

-Dan
Last edited by Dan_Kelleher on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Dave_Higgins » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:14 pm

KelleherD wrote:But Dave, I'd also be interested in other newbie forums you might discover as well.

Well, it's not a forum, per sé, but I found a nice blog that a guy writes, with "Objective-C Tuesdays"... It's at:

http://blog.ablepear.com/search/label/objective-c_tuesdays

He does a real nice job at picking a subject and giving a detailed, well articulated explanation of how it works, and when to and not to use certain things (when that applies)... Things like

Global variables:
global variables
the extern modifier

Static variables:
static variables
static variables in functions

Local variables:
local variables and function parameters

Instance variables:
instance variables
getters and setters

Properties:
@property and @synthesize
synthesizing properties
atomic and nonatomic properties
changing the default property names
writing a thread safe getter method
... and much more.

That last section helped to explain a lot to me, after seeing many variations on @property declarations in sample code as I surfed around (usually trying to figure out why I was getting certain error messages. :) )

Worth adding as a bookmark if you're just getting started.
Dave_Higgins

Postby Dave_Higgins » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:22 pm

supercardus wrote:Agreed. I am not sure Q's here would be considered pollution. In fact, if they remotely relate to issues beginning Xcode/External authors would face I can think of no better place.

Ok. That sounds good to me... Well, the immediate issue I was facing at the time I first posted has been solved. I caught Tomas in iChat and he fixed me up (of course I was barking up the wrong tree). Beginner binding madness and all that (array of objects to a tableView). Not necessarily an externals related issue (unless you're getting into stuff like Terry is with view overlays), but if you're ok with it... In discussions about even that I'm sure that code could evolve that *would* relate.

I came across a goodie for aid in externals development, but I still want to put together a sort of template Xcode project with it in use, so I'll just start up another thread with it when it's ready. That'll be soon. :roll:
Dave_Higgins

Return to Xcode and the Internals Toolbox