XCode, Mountain Lion and externals

External developers... This forum's for you!

XCode, Mountain Lion and externals

Postby sctell » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi,

It seems that the creation of externals is coming to an end :cry:

Why?

I upgraded to Mountain Lion and I have had to install XCode 4.4.1. and unlike previous versions of Xcode 4 which was a pain in itself I have not been able to get anything to compile.

Loads of errors such as:

Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 20.59.21.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 20.59.21.png (55.97 KiB) Viewed 10439 times

Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 21.00.59.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 21.00.59.png (51.73 KiB) Viewed 10439 times

I have looked about to see if you can install Xcode 3.... but I have read some horror stories about it breaking the Mountain Lion install, so I am not prepared to risk it.

So, unless there is a solution, no more externals. :cry:

All the best

Terry
sctell

Re: XCode, Mountain Lion and externals

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi Terry,
Well thats not good.
I expect we will hear more about this from Mark and Scott
when it's possible to do that in the most useful way.
Thanks for the info Terry, as always.
-Dan
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Postby sctell » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:53 pm

I have had a play with the header files of SC and commented out the errors which seem to be related to

QuickDraw
QuickTime
Movies
Palettes
Some WasteEdit
etc.

to remove the errors from my compile.

Success and failure.

I have an external THCharts (not released and 95% complete) that is a wrapper for Cocoa routines to draw charts and then return an image to SC. This compiled and run at first glance without any problems.

Then I tried to compile MDTable (Mark will be familiar with this) and although it compiled and initially ran SC eventually crashed.

So it seems that externals that do not need to call the Carbon based legacy routines used by SC, it may be possible to compile these with Mountain Lion and Xcode 4.4.1.

I have tried extracting the 10.6 SDK from an earlier version of XCode but again no success.

So, unless someone can come up with a solution, that's it?

All the best

Terry
sctell

Postby codegreen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:03 pm

sctell wrote:I have looked about to see if you can install Xcode 3.... but I have read some horror stories about it breaking the Mountain Lion install, so I am not prepared to risk it.

If for some reason you don't want to partition your internal drive (or add an external one) and install Snow Leopard on it (or you can't because your machine is too new to boot it), and you're worried about being one of those (thankfully seemingly rare) systems that choke when you try to run Xcode 3.x in Mountain Lion, you can always run a copy of Snow Leopard under Oracle VirtualBox and do your compile/test cycle there.

It's a bit of monkey work to set up as Snow Leopard isn't an 'officially supported' Guest OS yet, but it seems to work fine. Basically you just rip a 10.6 install DVD to an ISO image file and point the VirtualBox Manager utility to it, then add a couple of magic lines to the XML config file it creates -- see http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/51484/install-os-x-in-virtualbox-on-imac. I wouldn't want to develop a million-line Cocoa app under emulation, but for projects the size of typical externals the performance is certainly acceptable.

IMHO for simple tasks Xcode 3.x is a much less cumbersome tool anyway...

-Mark
codegreen

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:30 am

Mark, sounds like you might like (or choose) Oracle VirtualBox over Parallels Desktop.
Would you share any thoughts you might have comparing OS-emulation options for MAC ?
Dan_Kelleher

Postby codegreen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:18 am

Dan_Kelleher wrote:Mark, sounds like you might like (or choose) Oracle VirtualBox over Parallels Desktop.
Would you share any thoughts you might have comparing OS-emulation options for MAC ?

VirtualBox is a bit geeky and rough around the edges (e.g., multi-processor support seems not to work on my i7) but free. I've never tried Parallels, but presumably it must work better if they can get money for it. If you want to try out VB, note that you must enable Windows file sharing (i.e., SAMBA) on both the host and guest system for shared folders to work on a Mac.

-Mark
codegreen

Postby sctell » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 am

codegreen wrote:If for some reason you don't want to partition your internal drive (or add an external one) and install Snow Leopard on it (or you can't because your machine is too new to boot it), and you're worried about being one of those (thankfully seemingly rare) systems that choke when you try to run Xcode 3.x in Mountain Lion, you can always run a copy of Snow Leopard under Oracle VirtualBox and do your compile/test cycle there.

Hi Mark,

What do you do?

Regards

Terry
sctell

Postby sctell » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 am

Hi Mark and those interested.

Been playing around with settings.

Installed 10.6 SDK again because having read some more on the internet it seems this should work.

Using MDTable:

Installed 10.6 SDK into

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk

Project settings:

Base SDK set to 10.6
Compiler set to LLVM GCC 4.2
OSX Deployment Target set to 10.4
User Header Search Path set to /Library/SuperCard

Target MDTable settings:

Header Search Paths /Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon

Using the above compiled OK and runs in Test Project, no crashes so far :D

Have you any experience in this area that may help?

Thanks

Terry
sctell

Postby sctell » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 am

Hi again,

Compiled the charts external I am in the process of developing and it compiled OK and seems to be running without any issues :)

Best regards

Terry
sctell

Postby codegreen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:32 pm

sctell wrote:What do you do?

I keep separate partitions for 10.6.8, 10.7.4, and 10.8.1 (as well as another older machine with more versions going back to 10.4 for testing). I also run Xcode 3.2.6 without major issues under all three, but my 3.x installs on those volumes predate Xcode 4.x and Lion, so I'm not up on the vicissitudes of trying to shoehorn 3.x and 4.x both in together simultaneously after you've already swallowed the 'poison pill'...

-Mark
codegreen

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks Mark.
(I realize this is mucking up this topic a bit but...)

Parallels Desktop 8 works really smoothly with Windoz 7 as far as I can see.
I think the expensive purchase of Parallels Desktop 7 ($297, -included the Windows OS-) and the upgrade to version 8 for $49 was worth it.
In what they call coherence mode, the file systems are integrated and one can use both OS(s) simultaneously, as easy as moving from one window to another, allowing me to run Windoz APPLs and Mac simultaneously.
Alternatively, when switched easily out of coherence, the computer acts alternatively as a pure Windoz system or as a pure Mac Desktop system.
Ive had no problems yet.
I have Ubuntu installed but not yet activated. (Hi Richard :) )

Of course these comments are NOT coming from a "power-user"; just from me.

I was woking for a company where I could not even access my pay stubs or other employment info without a PC, UNTIL I splurged buying Parallels DeskTop but I'm happy I did now.
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Scott » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Everything that you mentioned is possible with VirtualBox,including running Windows in full screen in another desktop space, which I prefer. Another thing that I have noticed over the years is that virtualBox actually seems to get updated more frequently then parallels or VMware. For example, there was a Mountain lion update for VirtualBox well before 1 for parallels was released.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby 1nperson0z » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Now I have a new laptop with Mountain Lion by default, is there a solution to developing externals with XCode 4.1/Mountain Lion or are we stuck in the past with virtualised OS's and XCode 3.x for external development (Which is probably more mucking around than I have time for these days, so reluctantly would have to scrap my externals)?

Ian B
MacBook Pro 2.9Ghz i7 16Gb 10.12
1nperson0z

Postby sctell » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:29 am

Hi,

The answer is we can use Xcode.

The latest version is 4.6 and can be downloaded from the app store for free.

However, it only ships with SDK's for 10.7 and 10.8 and you need the 10.6 SDK to develop for SC.

I obtained a copy of the 10.6 SDK and installed it in
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk

and it works for the externals I have developed.

It is necessary to ignore some of the warnings given by XCODE when compiling because it wants you upgrade your project to the latest and greatest. If you follow XCODE's suggestions you will fail.

All the best

Terry
sctell

Return to Xcode and the Internals Toolbox