Text Rotation for Labels

Experimental projects, hacks, and other exploration of what is possible with SuperCard. Graphic files and .zip archives only.
Forum rules
Help keep this area clean by deleting attachments from existing posts that have been updated, or are no longer relevant.

Text Rotation for Labels

Postby DougDenby » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 pm

I found an awkward way to get rotated text to any degree. It is not pretty, but it works and the text is clear and readable. I needed this for some schematics and wire diagrams with wires going every which way on angles.

Open the SuperCard card in either SuperCard or SuperEdit. Be sure that the window that you wish to put the label on is visible.
Open Pages. Create a text box. Type the label into the text box. Select appropriate font, size and style. Click out side the box. Click on the box. The Four Corners of the box are now highlighted. Hold down the Command Key and drag a corner of the box. The box will rotate to whatever angle you wish. I find sliding the Pages window next to the place on the Supercard Window where I want the label, allows me to get the angle just about correct.
Copy the text box to the clipboard.
Open Preview. Type Command-N and a new window appears with the box in it. The scale will likely be larger. Don't worry. Use the select tools to select the text. Type Command-C to copy it to the clipboard. Yeh, seems redundant, but it keeps the text clear.
Click on the SuperCard Window. Choose the Pointer Tool. Paste (Command-V). The text will appear in a white box as a new cd grc. Set Ink to ScrOr; set showPen to false; set showFill to false. The text will now be black with no background. Drag it to where you want it.
Repeat as necessary.

It may be awkward but it is a lot faster than writing code in Applescript with a SuperCard envelope. I did try that, thinking a palette window would be best. Too time consuming for me. Maybe later, when I have more time.

Doug
DougDenby

Re: Text Rotation for Labels

Postby sctell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi,

Did my rotateText() external not work for you?

All the best

Terry
sctell

Return to The Lab