4.8 externals

External developers... This forum's for you!

4.8 externals

Postby 1nperson0z » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Given previous posts on Xcode e.g. "Sadly it's a UI abomination that beggars belief or description, but that's a rant for another day..." from Mark :D which I guess hasn't changed much for more recent versions...

What can we expect from the externals toolbox and support fro externals development for 4.8?

I haven't used Xcode for a while but have some external I made quite a while back I wouldn't mind updating (Quartz and OpenGL) as well as some new ideas I'd like to try, but only if it wasn't going to be too much of a time and life sucking nightmare.

Will there be some updated getting started guidance for newer Xcode & OS combo's or is the IT not going to make it?

Ian
1nperson0z

Re: 4.8 externals

Postby codegreen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:09 pm

1nperson0z wrote:which I guess hasn't changed much for more recent versions...

Oh no, quite the opposite in fact - newer versions are EXPONENTIALLY worse. :cry:

Will there be some updated getting started guidance for newer Xcode & OS combo's or is the IT not going to make it?

FWIW you can't really use the IT (or for that matter compile Universal binary externals at all without jumping through lots of hoops) in anything newer than Xcode 3.x, which requires Snow Leopard. That's Apple's doing, and basically beyond my control.

So yes the IT will be updated soon with a bunch of 4.8-related goodies. But the same limitations still apply.

-Mark
codegreen

Return to Xcode and the Internals Toolbox