The GDPR and the Future of these Forums

Here's where to post questions and suggestions regarding forum use. Requests for new forum topics should be posted here as well.

The GDPR and the Future of these Forums

Postby Scott » Wed May 16, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello Everybody...

For the last month or two, in addition to trying to get 4.8 out the door, I have been saddled with the task of getting our internet presence compliant with the letter of the GDPR. Unfortunately, the real stickler here are these forums.

The software currently in use have no built in methods to assure compliance. While there are a number of hacks available that "may" help, employing them means the loss of much work that has been done here, much more work to be done, and without the promise of actual compliance.

So I am considering alternatives that don't involve us being responsible for your personal data with regard to the forums. These include a social media platform which would most likely be a Google+ Community, or a simple mail ListServer like we had many years ago. And while I can't say I am thrilled with either of those alternatives, we have a lot of users in the EU and this is a real concern for us.

At this point no decisions have been made, but I wanted to garner as much feedback from you as possible as the deadline of 5/25 is approaching fast.

Scott Simon
Solutions Etcetera
Scott
Site Admin

Re: The GDPR and the Future of these Forums

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 am

I subscribe to a number of lists on https://groups.io/ which work fine and the service is free. A much better alternative to Yahoo Groups which seem irrevocably broken. I understand from group moderators that groups.io also has tools for migrating data from old lists. BONUS you can read posts on the list or have them sent to your email inbox like our old lists once did.

Google+ would be okay too - just not Facebook please...

Joe
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Re: The GDPR and the Future of these Forums

Postby Scott » Thu May 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Hey everybody...

After much consideration I have decided to move the online discussion of SuperCard to Google Groups. In addition to alleviating all of our GDPR concerns, a Google Group offers the following advantages:

1.) It is mobile device friendly.

2.) It offers both web based and email interfaces. A lot of folks missed the email interface of the old Yahoo Groups, and I think many just don't check in here that often because of that.

With a Google Group, you can configure your settings to get digest or individual emails, and you may respond to the group by replying to the email.

3.) Maintenance, the ability to change behavior and organization, as well as moderation and spam control are much better than PHPBB (which was always a bit of a kludge).

So... Announcing the SuperCard Discussion Group... currently online at:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/supercard-talk

The SuperCard Forums will be online until May 24th, 2018, at which point they will be archived and then closed. At that point "http://forums.supercard.us" will present a page explaining the move, with a link to the new group.

I hope to see you all there soon.

Regards,

-ss
Scott
Site Admin

Return to Site News, Questions, and Feedback